Monday, February 18, 2013

Insights and Stuff

Yesterday, I met with a friend and some of her friends. One of them was a very well-put-together lady who mentioned maybe three times how she needed to get her eating back under control again after this vacation. It got old, but when she burst into pure joy over a phone call from her overweight daughter, I realized I was talking with a clone of my mother. I mean, obviously, she loves her daughter and wants her to be healthy, but there was something so God-awful familiar and UNhealthy about her attitude. Daughter had had a gastric bypass and was calling to report that her cholesterol and blood sugars were down. Mom's over-done joy was so sad to me. The idea that her daughter had made her mom happy by having a life-threatening operation, made me want to cry for her. She had to be fixed for mom to be happy. Now, don't get me wrong. I know fat is unhealthy, but this was too much. Her constant talk about weight was disgustingly reminiscent of what I lived with all those years. I wanted to shake her.

I also just finished visiting the Biggest Loser FaceBook page. This is something I've been doing less and less. It's the same thing over and over and it seems that everyone goes to the resort, loses weight, and becomes a runner. Blah, blah, blah. It's fine for them, but this is me. Call me a loser, but this is my reality. I've been to the resort, I didn't really lose anything (a pound each time), and I continue to "maintain". Still, I'm not a giver-upper.

First of all, I'm 62. I'm freaking OLD! I won't be able to compete with my younger self, no matter what. But I will see what a 62-year-old can do. I like what I'm doing and the path I'm on.

Exercise: My daily (well, almost) one-mile walks have been fairly easy to get in. Just something about it being only a mile, takes less time and I'm more likely to cram it in. My only concern is my feet/ankles. They're really hurting. Yes, I know that it's because of the weight on top of them, but I have to move to get the weight off. Vicious circle. ANYway, I'm keeping it all at a mile a day until that is as ingrained in me as my 20-min of cleaning. Speaking of which, I can't rave about that enough. Wake up, hit the ladies' room, and clean for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, it's time for coffee and breakfast and THAT is when you wake up. Cleaning in my sleep is the bomb!

Food: I'm believing more and more in the vegan lifestyle and common sense of it. I nearly ordered vegan at the restaurant yesterday. "Nearly" being the key word. At the last minute, I threw in the chicken. One step at a time. I did shop for my one cooked meal for the week from McDougall's book and I have stopped buying the cottage cheese, cheese, and yogurts. Still have some left, but they will eventually disappear. I have already cut out the dairy in my oatmeal without a hitch.

Onward and upward ... NO ... DOWNward!

No comments:

Post a Comment